Brits Tried To Guess The Cost Of American Health Care And Got Really Confused

Turns out trying to guess health care prices is a good way to make British people sad, angry, confused, patriotic, and a little bit sweary.

I decided to find out by asking my British colleagues at BuzzFeed UK to guess what different health procedures would cost them if they were in the US. I then revealed the answer to each question based on data from the website Clear Health Costs.

This is how it went down.

How much would an "urgent care" walk-in appointment for something like a burn, a sprained wrist, a sore throat, a sinus infection, or a UTI (such as cystitis) cost without insurance?

How much would an "urgent care" walk-in appointment for something like a burn, a sprained wrist, a sore throat, a sinus infection, or a UTI (such as cystitis) cost without insurance?

FOX / Via tumblr.com

"Wait, that's not free?"

"Probably very naive, but I'd guess £100 [$156]."

"Well, you shouldn't go to doctors will a sore throat (according to my mum). Hmmm, I'll say around $50?"

"£15 [$23]."

"Probably too much to make it worth going? Like, $50 maybe? Just put some cream on it instead. Whatever's wrong, just put cream on it."

"I would guess like, $3,000."


View Entire List ›